Applying for independent study abroad overseas

If the university you wish to study at isn't an ANU partner university then you will need to consider independently studying abroad.

If you wish to study at an overseas university as a study abroad student, you need to apply to that university as an international fee paying student.

Most universities have information on their websites about study abroad program eligibility and how to apply.

Please note that students wanting CASS credit, need to complete an online application.

Study Abroad provides you with an opportunity to pursue an overseas experience in instances where Semester Exchange is not an option. You can study for a semester, year, or other non-standard session at an overseas institution that does not have an exchange agreement with ANU. You will still need to meet eligibility criteria as required by your academic college and host institution.

You will also need to consider whether you have any room in your degree to study overseas and liaise with your academic college as to whether it can count as credit-bearing studies towards your degree.

How does it work?

You are required to make all of your own arrangements. ANU Global Programs can provide general advice on whether Study Abroad might be appropriate for you, however you will not receive any program-specific assistance. It is up to you to look at what is possible and arrange to apply to the specific university directly.

Unlike exchange placements, you will need to pay tuition fees directly to the host institution or program provider, rather than ANU, and you will apply directly to the host institution.

To receive academic credit for your Independent Study Abroad program towards your ANU degree, your participation and course selections must be approved by your academic college.  You should meet with an academic advisor from your college before you apply for study abroad.  Your college will review your degree program and assess whether you have room within your degree for overseas studies.  You will also need to supply your college with a list of course outlines and classes you plan to take while overseas, which they will assess as to whether they are credit bearing towards your degree.

You will be enrolled by your academic college into a "shell code" for studies elsewhere. These codes are used for approved study at non-partner institutions and ensure that you are not charged any ANU tuition fees. Please note that Study Abroad placements are not commonwealth supported, and the fees cannot be deferred onto HELP debt.

If you are an International Student wishing to take part in Study Abroad, please check the status of your student visa. It may only be valid whilst you continue to study at ANU and your fees are paid to ANU.

For successfully completed units abroad, your grades will be reflected on your ANU transcript as "EE" (enrolled elsewhere). You cannot transfer your actual overseas grades to your ANU transcript. Credit is transferred on a pass or fail basis, however EE grades are neutral, and will not affect your final ANU GPA. You will need to organise for your host university to issue an official transcript back to ANU, in order for credit transfer to occur.

Where can I go and what can I learn?

You can go anywhere you choose! Study Abroad is open to anywhere in the world, as long as you have consulted with your academic college and you have their approval. The host university is not required to have an existing agreement with ANU. 

How much will it cost?

Costs of Study Abroad programs vary greatly, depending on destination, length and type of experience.

You will be responsible for all program costs including tuition to the host institution/organisation, flights, accommodation, and other travel and in-country living expenses.

If your overseas study is pre-approved as credit-bearing, and you meet the other eligibility criteria, you may be eligible for an OS-HELP loan.  More information about OS-HELP eligibility can be found here.


Eligibility requirements for Study Abroad are generally the same as for the Exchange program. Before starting your application, check the host university's entry requirements relating to GPA, level of study, languages, citizenship and available faculties.  Your host university may have other requirements, so be sure to do your research!